Because B4RN is non-profit we aren’t interested in commercial speculation, so we only extend our network into communities where we’re wanted. Each new area that invites B4RN in needs to raise a certain level of investment to cover the work and materials required for their area’s installation. Currently, a significant amount of that cost is being met with government voucher funding.
Every community’s core investment is made up of shares, the value of which can be ring-fenced for supporting the build-out in their area. For full details please see the shareholder prospectus on the Resources page.
- Minimum shareholding £100 / maximum £100,000.
- All shareholders are members of B4RN. One member one vote.
- Shares must be held for a minimum of 3 years.
- Investment in shares attract the current rate of 5% which can paid out or reinvested year on year.
- Some shareholders choose to invest £1,500 and claim free connection worth £150.
- Shares can only ever be sold back to B4RN at £1 each.
Enterprise Investment Scheme
In January 2019, HMRC ruled Community Benefit Societies – like B4RN – were no longer eligible for the Enterprise Investment Scheme. Details can be found here.